THE GLASTONBURY EMERGING TALENT COMPETITION 2017
Thank you for your interest in the 2017 Emerging Talent Competition organised by Glastonbury Festival Events Ltd (the ‘Glastonbury Festival’, the ‘Festival’ and ‘We’).
Please note the following important information and terms and conditions:
1) The competition is open only to musicians and performers based in the UK and Ireland who have not signed a contract to a record company, or any contract with any third party record label (or similar). This restriction would not include self released material whether in the physical format or as a digital release. Self released means recordings entirely financed by the musicians or performers with no financial assistance from any commercial organisation or relationship or an agreement with a record label or other investor but always excepting any distribution deal you might have entered into (including iTunes and/or a digital aggregator). In the event of any query or disagreement on what constitutes a valid entry, the Festival’s decision is final. You may only enter ONCE under one name (either as a solo artiste or as part of a group). Multiple entries will be disqualified (in our sole discretion).
2) Entries will be accepted online only from 9am (09.00) on the 30th January until 5pm (17.00) GMT on the 6th February 2017 at http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk
You will need to submit
· A link to one original sound recording by you – this must be a SOUNDCLOUD link
· A direct link to a video of your act performing at least one song live, on YouTube, Vimeo or a similar service. It need not be a public link.
3) The competition is free to enter.
4) Regrettably we will not be able to enter into any correspondence with competition entrants. However we may contact each competition entrant to give them updates about the various stages of the competition and information around radio coverage of the competition. Please make sure your application is clear and complete. You cannot amend the application once it has been submitted, or submit additional songs, so please do not send additional links (or similar) to us.
5) By entering the competition you agree:
- that any material submitted and any consequent live performance at the Finals or at the Glastonbury Festival 2017 may be broadcast or streamed on the radio/television/internet without further consultation.
- you will be available to perform at the Competition Finals as detailed in 8 below.
6) The entry process, judging process and final decisions will follow this procedure:
A team of online music journalists (or ‘bloggers’) will listen to all the entries to narrow them down to a “longlist”.
7) From the Longlist the Final Judging Panel will select a shortlist of 8 entrants who will be invited to the competition finals. Successful entrants will be notified from the week commencing 27th March 2017 onwards. The decision of our first stage judging team and the Final Judging Panel is final.
8) The Competition Finals:
This applies to all Finalists
- The Competition Finals will be in Pilton Somerset on Saturday the 22nd April 2017.
- Each Finalist will be paid a set fee of £200 for performing. The fee is fixed per act irrespective of whether a solo artist or a band with several members are involved and must cover all of your costs and expenses.
- Each Finalist must work closely with the Stage Manager, meet all Health and Safety requirements, and must provide safe working equipment.
- Each Finalist must not exceed the given time slot of 10 minutes.
- All Finalists need to be aware that the finals may be recorded in both audio and audio visual formats and may be streamed live on www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk. Finalists must agree that the Festival can use the recordings in all media including but not limited to television, radio and the internet without further reference to or payment to them (subject to payment of any appropriate performance royalties paid by the PRS to its member songwriters).
9) The Winner:
- One Winner and Two Runners Up will be chosen by the Competition Finals judges
- The Winner will be offered the opportunity to perform on one of the main stages at the Glastonbury Festival 2017 at a time, date and for a fee to be determined by the Festival organisers, and will also be awarded a £5,000 PRS for Music Foundation Talent Development prize.
- The two runners-up will also each be awarded a £2,500 PRS for Music Foundation Talent Development prize. Prize money will be payable via BACS.
- If joint winners are chosen then the Festival organisers will use its reasonable endeavours to ensure the joint winners will each have a performance slot. Any fee will be shared between joint winners. In such event PRS for Music will make such awards as they determine.
- Must agree to the normal requirements placed on performers on the main stages, namely:
- To perform at the time notified to them (for the agreed length of time);
- Agree to any filming or recording as required;
- Work with the Stage Manager and meet all Health and Safety requirements;
- Provide safe working equipment
- Provide one colour press photograph, and one biography (one side A4), both pre-cleared for all media uses.
10) If any other Finalists are chosen to play the Festival the final decision as to the most appropriate venue/stage for any selected artist to perform at will be at the discretion of the judges. The same terms contained in 9 relating to set time and length, health & safety, filming requirements and press requirements will apply.
11) The Festival will make every effort to ensure the Winner performs at Glastonbury Festival 2017. However the Festival may, in certain circumstances, have to cancel the performance without consulting the performer and without further liability to the performer.
Glastonbury Festival reserves the right to revise and amend these terms and conditions in its discretion without notice.